Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 September 2013

The untold story: Warri crisis

Some friends of mine say I'm too
narcissistic.
Most times I write, it's just the loner
trying to voice out that which I hope
someone would read.
It's hard to find one who'll listen to a
lengthy story with much verve but my
book never gets tired of listening;so I
never stop writing.
'Twas the night before christmas. I had
just finished saying my night prayers and
was about to sleep when I had a flash
back.
I was in a party. I was having fun with
some friends when suddenly...
Gboza! Gboza!
...we heard gun shots. We had been
warned earlier but I called it bluff.
In total disarray, I ran in the direction of
the church.
I knelt down to pray but my hands were
still trembling.
Thoughts of an earlier similar event
gushed into my mind. Like a hallucination,
I could see what would happen to me, if I
remained there.
I saw people running towards the parish
house and my instincts kicked in
immediately and so did a surge of
adrenalin. But before I got there, the
priest had already shut the door. It felt
like the door of heaven, shut.
Subconsciously, I had consigned myself to
death. But a force within,took hold and it
reminded me of the sisters' convent. But
on reaching there, no one answered the
gate.I yelled and cried and nearly fainted.
I was about yelling again when my dad
took my hand and swung me onto his
torso which I held firmly. Before I could
say, Daddy, we were already running
behind the war front.
The soldiers were firing behind us; away
from us whilst the other party was firing
straight at us.
I wanted to question our safety but when
I saw how confident my father was, I
withdrew, with head faced to his shoulder
and eyes closed.
When I got home, he told me to lie on the
floor to avoid being hit by stray bullets.
On the floor, I could feel warm tears
falling down to the floor.
But I wasn't crying because I was afraid; I
was crying because I had a father I could
count on.
Snapping out of my trance, I heard my
phone ringing.
It was 0:35.
A night caller was calling.
...only those who had received much love
can hand some out. I had received in
plethora, the said word above.

No comments:

Post a Comment