Search This Blog

Saturday 4 July 2015

Orion's Star Light

Taking a lonely walk as usual, I got accosted by a guy I knew less than little about. In my head I prayed he wouldn't go my way as I wanted a tranquil walk. But the dude was headed my direction. So I gave up my lonely, quiet quest for a less than wanted company.
I struck a conversation about the tranquility of sober reflections and quiet walks, which he seem to oppose.
The discussion was stale and dry. And as I wasn't a people's person, I tried to bail out with a lie that a certain girl was supposed to meet me half way. Knowing the protocol, he strode off.
I stood still; handled my phone as if I was trying to call someone, just so he could get farther before I could continue my loner's quest. There she was glittering like a star out of Orion's belt. The unexpected and fictional girl I was supposed to meet up with, that I never planned. She had taped my shoulder from behind with an aura of uncertainty and unwillingness.
"Hi! It's dark and I need to go to the bank. Are you by chance going that way?"
"This is new", I thought. I looked at her for a second and shrugged, "okay".
Deciding I was still going to continue my meditation, for I was searching for my muse with an esteemed verve, I placed my hands free in my ear, and started strolling along side someone I now thought as 'Jane Doe'.
" I'm Jane by the way "
"What are the odds?!"
"What?"
"Please don't tell me your surname is Doe" I whispered to myself. "These jeans are too tight to run in."
"I'm James." Lying to her was a good idea since she seemed like she reads minds.
Then we exchanged all those other details.
"Hope I'm not asking you too many questions?"
"Not at all"
"I'm just trying to make a conversation. The silence is deafening"
"Sorry about that. It's just that I set out with an aim of walking in silence, so I could find my muse but everything isn't happening as planned from inception. No offence though"
"None taken."
"Withdraw for two", I said as she stepped into the ATM gallery.
As she stepped out, she tried to squeeze a five hundred naira note into my hand.
In utter shock I said, " no, that was a metaphor. I didn't actually mean it."
Disappointed, she had the countenance of one who needed to disappear but couldn't.
An awkward silence ensued. I was lost. As I didn't know what protocol best suits the situation.
She got to her juncture, and we parted ways without as much as a gesticulation of goodbye.
Instead of finding my muse, I found confusion, all in the actions of a girl I knew not.

No comments:

Post a Comment