Search This Blog

Sunday 5 April 2015

The loner inside


I'm trying to write the perfect story but the hardest thing to wrap my hands around are names. The names of characters. It's really that complicated. Yes it is.
I tried using Ifeoma, Ifeanyi, Chioma, Chima and their likes but it sounded stupid to me. Probing further, I realised that it's because I've been acclimatized to foreign movies and that's why the names Jack, Anderson, John, Robert, Jenny etcetera comes to mind effortlessly.
You're wondering why our native names sound absurd in the said story.
I can't remember the last time I saw a Nigerian movie with passion or verve as I would do a foreign movie. You can hardly blame me for that. When one acts a movie without passion (not the romance movie kind of passion) or verve how do you expect your viewers to develop passion for it?
So when one gets his muse from a foreign movie you can hardly blame him if all the names that come to mind are foreign ones.
Don't get me wrong. I love our native names.
I'm just stating my state of mind.
And it's pathetic.
Try writing a science fiction novel with the names Chioma, Chidimma, Chinonso, Chukwuma etcetera.
Excerpt...
...she stood at the gate watching him walk away and he saw a little boy standing in front of a car in motion; it's occupants: dead drunk. Dave quickly threw away his bag pack, ran to were the boy was, grabbed him and threw him just in time for the little boy but there was no time left for him.
The car hit his rib cage and smashed him to the ground. It drove past his half dead body. He could guess all the bones in his body were broken. The sinusoidal palpitations of his heart was reducing drastically. His vision was becoming blur. The last thing he saw was Jenny running and screaming towards his direction, then it all went white...
Yes it went white instead of dark! Want to know more?
Sorry it's an excerpt.

No comments:

Post a Comment